Monday, September 21, 2015

My Week Has Flown By

The end of the transfer is coming on fast! I'll be done with my first transfer a week from tomorrow! It seems crazy that it's gone by so fast! I'm looking forward to the change of pace a new transfer will bring, but with my companion leaving, everyone keeps hinting that I might be training, which is really nerve racking!

This last week has flown by! I was on exchanges twice, once with my district leader and once with one of my zone leaders. Both were awesome experiences, and helped me a lot with different struggles that I've been dealing with.

My funny experience for the week was a visit to a new family, the Misipeka's. They're a new member family that just moved in. They're Samoan, and they have 13 kids. My companion is also Polynesian and really tall. So just imagine if you will: short, small, white Elder Excell crammed on the couch between a bunch of big burly Polynesians.  Definitely one of the funniest things of the week!

The other funniest thing has to be the musical number I heard at a fireside on Sunday. They have what's called a “Why I Believe" fireside once a month here, converts to the church share their conversion stories, and sometimes, missionaries perform musical numbers. My companion and some of the other departing missionaries decided to sing the version of “I Hope They Call Me On a Mission” from the movie The RM.  (maybe my editor will be good enough to include a recording, ;)).  Bless their hearts, they really tried to do some barbershop harmonies, but it has to be one of the funniest, most tone deaf performances I've heard to date, haha. It was a struggle to keep a straight face through it!

I feel like I learn a lot every day, but every time I try to come up with a spiritual experience to share in the blog, my mind goes blank! This next week I'll do my best to jot down a specific experience that I can share!

I do feel truly blessed to have the opportunity to be out here serving people every day, and I want to testify of the power of the Savior in our lives! I couldn't make it a single day out here without his help, and I know that he can help all of us with any problems that we’re facing!

That's all for this week, I love you all!

Audio to "I Hope They Call Me On a Mission" referred to above by Elder Excell :)

Q&A 9/21/15
1.)  I'm curious about how money works with missionaries.  Do you get a specific amount each month?  Do they give you cash or on some kind of a debit card?  Do you have to pay your rent from your amount? -- We get $125 a month on a debit card. They take care of the rent separately.

2.)  Do you feel like you have enough money to provide for your needs?  -- More than enough. I was surviving on about $40-$60 a month in salt lake, and that was when I was covering all my meals and not getting free dinner all the time. I honestly don't understand how missionaries can run out of money before the end of the month, but it happens. 

3.)  Do you have a lot of dinner appointments or do you get the chance to cook for yourselves very often?  -- We have dinner appointments nearly every night, but we still do lunch on our own, and I've done some baking.


P.S. to Mom:  One thing that I’ve learned over the last few weeks that I think applies to your new job is that there is very little growth in the comfort zone and very little comfort in the growth zone!  :) Hang in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment