Monday, August 8, 2016

Loving the North Zone

Hey everybody!

It's been a really good week this week! Elder Branning and I have been loving the north zone! There are just so many humble people here who are prepared to hear the gospel. 
Elder Branning and I with Sister Snow at interviews last week!
Holding kittens at a members home.
One of our favorite investigators is named Michael. He's 15, and he's the best. He's had a really rough life growing up, and always talks about how a year ago, if you asked him where he thought he would be in 10 years, he probably would have told you, "6 feet under with a gun in his hand." He was involved in a lot of gang violence all through his young years. But this Sunday in sacrament meeting, he stood up and shared an amazing testimony about how he's been able to change through Christ. He's going it be baptized on the 20th of August! 

We also have several other baptisms lined up! There's a couple named the Lacey's. The wife is a less active member who is about to have a baby, and the husband is going to be baptized on the 27th of August! He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met. He likes to find stuff in junkyards and on the side of the road, and bring them home. And then he just gives it away! And he finds some really nice stuff! Like this suit jacket! He offered, and I was tempted, but decided I wouldn't have much use for it, haha.

There's lots of other people that are doing really well, but I only have so much time. Before I close though, I've been studying a conference talk this week that has had a huge impact on me. It's from President Uchtdorf, and it's called "On Being Genuine."  If you have some time, I highly recommend it.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/05/general-priesthood-session/on-being-genuine?lang=eng

Thanks for all of your love and support! I love you all!
Elder Excell 

Apartment Pictures - (After a GREAT deal of cleaning today.
It was a little dirty when we got here.)
Q&A - 8/8/2016

1.) As a zone leader, are you the one that now travels to the mission office to get everyone's mail and packages to deliver to them? I've never been real sure just how your mail delivery system works in the mission. -- I am now in charge of the mail! It definitely takes some time out of our p day, but someone has to do it, and I'm glad of the chance to serve!

2.) What is the best thing about your new area? -- I've always wanted to serve in the ghetto, and now I am! There's just so many funny things that happen every day and the people are so humble.

3.) How do p-days in this area differ from other areas you've served in? -- One interesting thing is that our zone only covers one stake. Normally, only half of the zone comes together for pday sports, but because it's all one stake, the whole zone gets together for sports!  Also, now that I'm a zone leader, we have a weekly meeting with us and the sister training leaders for he zone to discuss things. Also, the mail! Other than that, it's pretty much the same.

4.) Did you celebrate your year mark in any particular way this past week? How? -- I haven't yet, but I'm planning to burn a shirt soon! And I also missed out on burning my tie at 6 months, so I figure I'll do both together!

5.) Do you feel that your new area is safe or are you ever nervous when you walk around? Honest, please. Don't give me the "protecting mom" answer!  I really would like to know. I know that you're being smart and will be protected, I just wonder if you feel a difference between this area and others you've served in. -- I feel very safe! There are definitely sketchy parts, but everyone really respects the missionaries for the most part.
A book written by one of our members. I thought certain people might find it interesting!
Especially the mention of a certain Max Excell!

No comments:

Post a Comment