Monday, February 22, 2016

Beautiful Views and a Baptism!

Elder Aitchison and I checking out the view of
Lake Mead from Meadview!
This has been a crazy week!  We've spent tons of time in the car!  There were a few days where we did over 200 miles in a day!  

We had a baptism this weekend, and I had the chance to be able to confirm Julie.  It was the first time that I've had the opportunity to do so, and it was a really cool experience!  

We're still teaching that old lady in Chloride, Pat, and she can be so stubborn sometimes, haha.  She found a scripture in Exodus 33:20 that says no man can see God and live, and so now she has concerns about Joseph Smith.  We shared like 5 different scriptures with her about God conversing face to face with his prophets in the Old Testament and living, and tried explaining things, but she's just stuck on that one scripture.  It just goes to show that in the end, no matter what evidence is put in front of you, the only way that anyone can truly gain a testimony of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ is through the Holy Ghost and through humble prayer.  I'm so grateful for the fact that I was brought up in this church, and that I had such great parents who helped instill faith in me from a young age!  I feel my testimony of this gospel grow every day, and I know that a large part of it is because of the base that I was given by them!





I've been studying in the beginning of Genesis the last couple of days, and it's led me to do a lot of pondering on the nature of the temple.  I'm so grateful for the blessing of temples and all of the blessings that come from them!  One of the things I'm looking forward to most in my mission is the chance I'll hopefully have to see some of these couples that I've had the chance to teach go through the temple and be sealed for time and all eternity.  

Just a heads up for next week, there's a good chance that there won't be any emails from me.  I'll have to backtrack a little bit to explain.  The Elders that serve in Peach Springs in our zone also cover the Supai nation at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.  They hike down about twice a month and spend 3-4 days proselyting to the Native Americans down there. They've organized for several sets of missionaries to be able to hike down with them this coming P-day and see some of the sights at the bottom of the Grand Canyon!  Not very many people ever get this opportunity because of all the restrictions placed on traveling through the Supai nation, but because the missionaries there have such good relations with the locals, they've been able to work something out!  I'm super excited to have such a cool opportunity!  That being said, it's a really long hike down and back up, and will take virtually the entire day, so there's a good chance that I won't have time to email this coming week.  If that does end up being the case, then for the next 2 weeks, know that I love all of you, and I'm so grateful for all of the support and prayers that I get from all of you!

Elder Excell
The Marsee's (our housing coordinator's) in the living room/office
of our trailer.



Q&A - 2/22/16

1.) Are you able to take a shower now without having to drive down the road five miles to do it? --Not yet, haha.  The shower predicament has gone on a little longer than anticipated, but we're hopeful that it will be over soon.  On the plus side, It's led to us starting to teach our landlord!


A replica old west saloon in Chloride
2.) What is your favorite thing to do on P-days?  --Well, aside from read emails from everyone back home, I really enjoy hanging out with the other missionaries and playing sports.  We play different stuff like basketball, ultimate frisbee, and Chinese dodgeball!

3.) You had a couple of baptisms this week if I'm not mistaken!! I want to hear all about them! Did you perform the baptism or confirmation or did a ward member or someone else? --We did!  It ended up being just Julie that was able to make her baptismal date of this Saturday, but Terry is still working towards it!  Someone from the ward performed the baptism, but I was asked to do the confirmation, which was a really cool experience!

4.) Did you have any moments of discouragement this last week?  --A few.  It's been a really crazy week with lots of time spent in the car, and sometimes it can be a little frustrating when you feel like you're not getting as much done as you could.


Passing time with Ray while we wait for
dinner to be ready.
5.) What was your favorite thing that happened last week?  --Probably the baptism!

6.) Have you forgotten yet how much you are loved?  --Never!

Our mission president is pretty cool!!  This is a
picture we found of him taken before his
mission president days!

No comments:

Post a Comment