Monday, October 12, 2015

Two Months & Our First Baptism

2 months! Still 22 to go, but still, it seems like just yesterday I was thinking 1 month!

This last week has been a lot of fun! Still loving serving with Elder Dixon! I'll share a couple of interesting experiences and then some of my thoughts on the scripture I ponderized this last week.

We had a baptism Saturday! Lauren. She's 16, and she was a lot of fun to teach! She already knew a lot about the church and had been coming for several years, but her dad has a rule that the kids can't be baptized until they're 16 and take the missionary discussions. She's going to be a great member!

We had 4 different flat tires this last week! One was mine, and the other 3 were Elder Dixons tire that we kept patching and it kept blowing, so we finally bought a new tube this morning! We got to do some old fashioned on foot proselyting, which was fun for a day or two, but Hopefully we don't have to do for a while, haha. Definitely a blessing to have the travel options we do today to hasten the work!

Most of the members of my ward now know I'm a Utes fan, so I get updates on the scores before Monday! Even though they're mostly BYU fans, and are hoping to give me bad news when they watch, they haven't had a chance to yet! Go Utes!

This last week I've been ponderizing Ether 12:27.

“And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.”

* When it says "if men come unto me, I will show unto them their weakness", it seems like him showing us our weakness is a blessing. We're usually shown our weakness through trials. Trials are a blessing because they show us our weakness. And that's a blessing because it causes us to be humble enough to accept Christ's help, which allows us to become stronger than we were in the first place.
* When it says I will make weak things become strong unto them, it doesn't really say that he'll remove our weaknesses. Maybe sometimes it just means that he'll show us how things that used to be weaknesses can be used as strengths. Almost everything can be a strength. It just depends on how you look at it.
* "For my grace is sufficient for all men who humble themselves before me." We need to be humble in order to partake of the atonement. Christ's grace is the only way we can enter into the kingdom of heaven, 2 Nephi 25:23. The trials we receive are humbling us in such a way that we're able to partake of the atonement.
* If they humble themselves before me AND HAVE FAITH IN ME. Humility is about more than just recognizing your own limitations. It's about recognizing that through Christ you can do all things. It's only as we show faith in him that our weaknesses can be made strengths.

Love you all and appreciate the continued support!




Q&A – 10/12/15


1.) What are p-days like for you? Are they different now with your new companion? --They're still pretty much the same. Wake up, work out, study, shop, laundry, email, clean, sports, etc. We don't really have time to switch it around too much, haha

2.) How is your bike treating you? --The bike is doing well for the most part! We had a flat tire incident earlier in the week, but I have a new tube now, so it's all good!

3.) I've also been wondering about the other things we bought to send with you. Are things holding up ok? Bag? Shoes? --Bag's Good! Shoes are wearing a little, and I have a suspicion that it's faster than they normally would because they spend so much time on such hot asphalt. They're still good for now though! And if they do wear down, they've got the two year warranty. Besides, I decided the other week that every missionary secretly wants to go home with a pair of really beat up warn through shoes.

4.) How many siblings does Elder Dixon have? Is he oldest, youngest, or somewhere in between? --Elder Dixon has 5 siblings, of which he is the youngest.

5.) One thing that you've learned about yourself since serving as a missionary? --I've gained a newfound appreciation for the fact that it's up to you to determine your happiness! There are a lot of things that you can't control in life, but you can always control the way you react the situation you're in, so why wouldn't you choose to be happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment